In my last post I made mention of Dr. Langberg’s presentations last Monday night. One of her talks was entitled, “Ten Things About Counseling You Don’t Usually Hear in Graduate School.” At some point we may be able to upload video of that talk but just to whet your appetite, here are a couple of her 10 items,
- Counseling is not nice. Most people get into the counseling business because they want to help people and because others have indicated that they have a gift for listening. Without being negative about the work of counseling, Dr. Langberg reminded us that to counsel with others is to invite garbage into your life. People don’t come to counseling to talk about the good things…
- Similarly, the stuff of counseling is contagious; it will change you.
- Counseling will expose you. It will expose your limits of patience, rationality, and love. It will expose your baser reasons for being a counselor.
- Christian counseling is doing God’s work. It is not our work.
- Christian counseling is doing God’s work for him (not for ourselves or others).
Just a taste. But she concluded with this call,
Listen acutely. Study avidly. Be the Word.